Monday, April 19, 2010

What's In it for me?...one might ask.

Although I am new to the hobby of metal detecting I can still see the benefits of getting involved in this hobby. It is'nt just about digging in the dirt and finding coins or jewelry or whatever else might turn up in a dirt plug. It is also about gaining knowledge in history and learning to research. It is finding out what was, back in the day.
To learn that the open field you are gazing at was at one time a triving operatable farm or small housing community or an old school house from which you can almost hear the hustle and bustle of children or a horse and plow or just people going about their daily lives.
I have yet to find a coin or anything else older than the 60's ....1960 that is. So i have yet to feel the thrill of turning up a plug and having a coin from the old times staring back at me as so many others in this hobby have experienced. But just knowing that one day I will find a piece of the history that I have been spending so much time in, is what makes it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment